The state of California created the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) to relieve or mitigate economic losses suffered by California residents who were students attending certain schools regulated by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education. Only students who are California residents are required to pay the STRF fee.

Note: No STRF Fees until further notice. Effective January 1, 2015, the Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) assessment rate will be zero ($0) per $1,000. Therefore, all institutions required to collect STRF assessments must stop collecting STRF assessments from students.

What is STRF?
Student Tuition Recovery Fund It is a California state requirement that a resident of California student who pays his or her own tuition, either directly or through a loan, is required to pay an annual state - imposed fee for the Student Tuition Recovery Fu nd (STRF). The STRF was established by the legislature to protect California residents who attend private postsecondary institutions from losing money if they prepaid tuition and suffered financial loss as a result of the school closing, the school failing to live up to its enrollment agreement, failing to pay refunds on behalf of a student, or refusing to pay a court judgment. To be eligible for STRF, a student must be a California resident and reside in California at the time the enrollment agreement is s igned. Students who are temporarily residing in California for the sole purpose of pursuing an education, specifically those who hold student visas, are not considered a “California resident”. To qualify for STRF reimbursement a student must file an STRF application within two years of receiving a school closure notice from the College or the state Bureau of Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE). If a student does not receive notice, he or she has four years from the date of closure to file an STRF applic ation. If a judgment is obtained, a student must file an STRF application within two years of the final judgment. It is important that a student keep cop i es of the enrollment agreement, financial aid papers, receipts, or any other information that document the monies paid to the school. Questions regarding the STRF may be directed to the bureau for Private Post Secondary Education. 1625 North Market Boulevard, Suite S - 202, Sacramento, CA 95834 - 1924, or call (916) 574 - 7720, or visit