- Class Hours: 50
- Instructor: Carlisle Douglas
- Prerequisites: 100 hours of Massage training
- Class Materials: Introduction to Massage Therapy, Braun and Simonson, 3rd Edition
- Checkin at Harbin front gate as early as 12pm Sunday.
You may enter the classroom building at 6pm to bring in your bedding and food if you'd like. Class orientation begins promptly at 6:30 pm for a 7pm class start time.
Knowledge of anatomy and the effects and contraindications of massage provide a basis for developing creative, intuitive and individualized sessions for your clients. Communication skills, ethics and professional boundaries further prepare you for private practice. Movement, self-awareness exercises, creative visualization and meditation round out this dynamic learning experience. You can expect to have fun and deepen your knowledge of yourself as you gain skills and confidence necessary for a compassionate, effective massage therapy practice. This class offers the continuing student an opportunity to expand existing skills while integrating new techniques. Students learn a side lying approach, which is particularly effective for the hip, lower back, neck and shoulder girdle. This approach also offers more comfort and flexibility for pregnant clients. Myofascial stretching and release and Muscle Energy Techniques will increase your effectiveness and palpation sensitivity. Students will learn the effects, benefits, indication and contraindications for hydrotherapy as well as specific applications for integration with massage.
During the course you will:
- Learn basic theory and an introduction to Myofascial Release • Learn basic theory and application of Muscle Energy Techniques, specifically PNF stretching
- Learn joint mobilization techniques for use in bodywork sessions
- Learn how to give a full-body session in side-lying posture
- Assess and improve own body mechanics and self-care habits
- Expand tools and knowledge toward enhancing ability to provide appropriate therapeutic bodywork that meets clients’ individual needs .